Join our mailing list
Free pattern each month
Every once in a while, a great knitting pattern will come your way and you'll enjoy knitting it over and over. This lace hat is "The One" for me and easily for you too! This has all the elements I love:
* Lace that is easily "learned," but never boring!
* A ribbed band (for a great fit) that blends beautifully into the lace and can be easily lengthened.
* A nicely shaped crown ending in a lovely floral motif at the top.
* An easy-to-follow chart AND written instructions for ALL rounds.
* One ball of most worsted-weight yarns will do = stash-buster!
* So cushy soft and practically collectible when knit up in cashmere/Merino wool blend yarns, like those shown here.
* Eye-catching, multi-dimensional lace patterning that screams "I was not mass produced on a machine, but lovingly hand-knit by a skilled knitter!"
* Seamless, easy finish. Weave in two ends and you're good to go!
* Versatile, slouchy fit for adults that is also just adorable on kids.
* Even more covetable when embellished with a pompom. Sew on a fake fur one, or (with a little extra yardage) make a matching yarn one. You might even choose to up the fun factor by making your pompom with a fluffy mohair or glittery contrasting yarn!
I've already knit up 4 of these in less than 4 days and enjoyed every stitch (AND I cleared a little stash)!
Finished Blocked Measurements: Approx 18 ¾" [47.5 cm] around above ribbed band, unstretched; 8 ¾" [22 cm] height. Easily stretches to fit up to 22" [56 cm] head. One size fits most Kids and Adults. Modeled on a 10-year old and adult (cream color), 12-year old (grey), and 7-year old (bright pink).
Yarn Used: [cream and grey hats] Knit Picks Capra DK (85% Merino/15% Cashmere); 1.75 oz/50 g [123 yds/112 m] per ball): 1 ball in Cream #24974 or Caviar #24963. NOTE: Although this yarn is called "DK," it knits up as a worsted-weight yarn in this pattern.
[pink hat] Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (55% Merino Wool/33% Microfiber/12% Cashmere); 1.75 oz/50 g [98 yds/90 m] per ball): 2 balls in Pink 300616. From yarn label: 18 sts = 24 rows on size 8 [5 mm] needles.
Pattern Gauge: 16 sts = 3 ¾" [9.5 cm] and 25 rnds = 4" [10 cm] in Lace patt, gently blocked.
Yarn Label Gauge and Information: A worsted-weight in a soft cashmere/Merino wool bland. Yarn label suggested gauge: 20 to 22 sts = 4' [10 cm] on size US 5 - 7 [3.75 - 4.5mm] needles. While Capra is listed as a DK-weight yarn, it is knit up more like a worsted-weight yarn here. For substituting, please use a DK weight that has the loose plies, like Capra, which will fill in the fabric, or choose a soft worsted weight (probably not heavy worsted).
Approximate Total Yardage Required: 123 yds [112 m] without pompom; 145 [132.5] yards with a pompom, as shown.
Some suggested yarn substitutes to try:
If you have a yarn substitute to suggest for this project, email us!
Knitting Needles Used: Size 9 [5.5 mm]: 1 set of 4 or 5 double-pointed needles (DPNs) OR SIZE TO OBTAIN GAUGE; Size 9 [5.5 mm]: 16" [40 cm] circular needle OR SIZE TO OBTAIN GAUGE (optional: DPNs can be used for all rnds)
Please note: SweaterBabe.com patterns are authorized for home use only and are not to be knit/crocheted for resale. All pattern sales are final.
Posted by Donnely on 3rd Feb 2017
Love this pattern, easy to make, looks great in solids and multi color yarns....a wow when folks ask if you made it.
Posted by Deborah on 21st Jan 2016
it's a great pattern and I made two of them pretty quickly!
Posted by Jean-Marie on 21st Jan 2016
Easy to understand...